Don’t Get Delusional Prior Starting Your New Film
Don’t Get Delusional Prior Starting Your New Film Project It’s very important to be very realistic before you go into your new film project. While I was working on my own projects and doing film trend researches I had the privilege to meet and talk with several film industry professionals who told me all. I am not going to tell you all but will throw a few questions that may help you to take off from your emotional “lala land” and land you softly to a very tough filmmaking business. Ask yourself these questions before you start your new film project:
- What is my financial goal for this project?
- If my film under one million, will I be able to recoup my, investors money and make income with my project?
- Will I be able to pay to myself for my 2-3 types of work that I will be doing for this project?
- What is my worse scenario budget for my new film?
- What is the target audience?
- What is my filmmaking competition is doing?
- How much if any money my competition is able to make with similar to your film projects?
- Will you self-distribute, do hybrid distribution, or traditional?
- What is the outcome?
- Do I know how many titles each month the most distributors deal with?
- Do I know how many titles from those 15-20 new titles that most distributors deal every month really perform, or make some money at least during the “honeymoon” period?
- Do you know what are the distribution contract terms right now?
- Did you ever think if your film will not perform well, you will be stuck for 5 years with your film and will not be able to do anything with it, because of the contract you’ll sign will be at least for 3-5 years? Eventually, you will have your film under the contract but you will have no right to your own film. How do you like this idea?
- Did you think how and where you can sell your film yourself or by using your contacts?
- Do you still think it’s a good idea to start your new film?
What do you think about the current situation in Film Industry? Leave your comments and questions in a comment section.